As the lead agency for fisheries research and development in the country, we are mandated to provide the much needed leadership in fisheries research. Under Section 85 of RA 8550 as amended by RA 10654, we are tasked to:
- establish a national infrastructure unit complete with technologically-advanced features and modern scientific equipment, which shall facilitate, monitor, and implement various research needs and activities of the fisheries sector;
- provide a venue for intensive training and development of human resources in the field of fisheries, a repository of all fisheries researches and scientific information;
- provide intensive training and development of human resources in the field of fisheries for the maximum utilization of available technology;
- hasten the realization of the economic potential of the fisheries sector by maximizing developmental research efforts in accordance with the requirements of the national fisheries conservation and development programs, also possibly through collaborative effort with international institutions; and,
- formally establish, strengthen and expand the network of fisheries-researching communities through effective communication linkages nationwide.